Jerker! Important step in sport development is a good statistical arrangement. Let me say some examples in other sports:
1) What is a percentage of Ole Einar Bjorndalens shooting in standing and prone position?
2) How many knock-out victories has Vladimir Klichko? (in professional boxing - 54, in amateur boxing - 65)
3) How many World Cup victories has Marit Bjoergen?
4) Who is the best tennis player against Roger Federer?
5) What is the fastest serve speeds of Maria Sharapova?
6) Who has best rebounds score in the basketball team Los Angeles Lakers?
Such kind of statistic information is VERY important for funs, TV-speakers, media (and for coaches as well).
1. In your opinion, what is the current situation with such statistical arrangement in Orienteering?
As previous speakers I agree there exists very little statistics in orienteering . The only and the best place I know is Jan Kocbach own website Worldofo where he put out some statistics. IOF website where one can believe that it should be easy to find information , it's impossible sometimes . Whoever tried to find the world ranking know what I mean. The IOF webmaster should consider whether it is his mission in life to take care of websites.
2. What kind of indicators, statistical aggregates, profile characteristics can we use in Orienteering (to make better information content in our sport)?
The first step should be to have readable statistics/database on the major competitions and rankings. The IOF should be responsible that this is done properly. I really think we have enough information, it is only if someone takes care of it and make something of it.
Many thanks, Jerker!
P.S. Photo: Jerker is on the way to bronze medal at EOC-2012.
P.P.S.Dear friends at the right side of your screen you can see a survey WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ABOUT PRIORITIES IN DEVELOPMENT OF NEW TOOLS IN STATISTIC/PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS.
Your opinion is important to set up priorities! Please, mark one or more points from list:
- Relay performance/skills
- Complete/detailed results overview, including historical statistics/ranking
- Statistics of different legs types
- Pacing/speed analysis
- Safety/mistakes analysis
Explanations and comments of these points you can read in the post Leonid Novikov tells about future of sport statistics in Orienteering.
Click button "ГОЛОСОВАТЬ" to VOTE.